Long Beach State (LBSU) senior forward Nadia Link has been named one of 37 finalists for the Soccer News Net College Boot award, recognizing the women’s college player of the year.
The editors of each of the sites in the Soccer News Net network nominated up to four local players for the award, each of whom will be eligible for the regional player of the year award. Nine additional at-large selections rounded out the nominations.
Fans from across the country will be able to vote for the top collegiate player until Dec. 15. Online fan voting will account for 40 percent of the total toward the award, and the remaining 60 percent of the vote will be cast by the Soccer News Net editorial staff.
The winner of the popular vote will also receive the Soccer News Net Supporter’s Choice Award.
Link recently wrapped up one of the greatest careers in program history. In 2012, she claimed her second-consecutive Big West Offensive Player of the Year award and led the 49ers to their third-straight NCAA Tournament appearance. She finished her senior campaign with eight goals and a conference-leading nine assists and 25 points.
As a junior, Link established an LBSU single-season record with 16 goals while also compiling a career-best 10 assists.
During Link’s four-year career, the 49er squad claimed back-to-back Big West Conference Tournament titles (2011, 2012) and made three NCAA Tournament appearances (2010-12), including an unprecedented run to the Elite Eight in 2011. In addition to her two straight conference player of the year honors, she was also a three-time first-team All-Big West selection.
Link will leave LBSU ranked among the all-time top five in goals (tied for second, 32), game-winning goals (second, 13), shots (third, 210), points (tied for third, 84) and assists (fifth, 20).